UnionChemnitz looks back on a history of success in the manufacture of machine tools that spans more than 160 years. David Gustav Diehl founded Werkzeugmaschinenfabrik Diehl in Chemnitz in 1852. It was converted into Werkzeugmaschinenfabrik UNION AG in 1872. The first boring mill made in Chemnitz was introduced in 1875. Two years later, in 1877, Karl Wetzel founded Karl-Wetzel-Maschinenfabrik in Gera. After dividing the market per contract in 1918, the competitors affiliated to Wetzel-UNION in 1936.
The two locations Gera and Chemnitz were separated again after the Second World War, and expropriated as a consequence of the political changes. Subsequently, the locations Gera and Chemnitz were integrated in the combine "Fritz Heckert" in 1970. The fall of the German Wall and the beginning of privatization in 1990 was a turning point for the company: the location in Gera was closed in 1994. For the company in Chemnitz, the year 1996 was a new start, as "Neue UNION" was founded as an employee company.
During the following years, UnionChemnitz expanded its product series for the machining of large workpieces. Until 2009, the company developed machine tools with boring spindle diameters of up to 262 mm that machine workpieces with weights of up to 250 t, traversing up to 40 m in the X-axis and 10 m in the Y-axis.
2011 was a milestone for UnionChemnitz: since then, the company is a successful independent company in the family-owned HerkulesGroup.